Are you eager to learn about the inauguration of Dhaka Airport third terminal? Scheduled for a partial inauguration on October 7, 2023, this event promises world-class passenger service and enhanced safety measures. In this article, we will delve into the construction timeline, project details, and facilities of Dhaka’s Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport’s new terminal and explore its potential impact on Bangladesh’s aviation sector.
Overview of Dhaka Airport’s Third Terminal
The third terminal of Dhaka Airport is poised to become Bangladesh’s primary maritime hub and is set to open on October 7, 2023.
- Inauguration Date: October 7, 2023
- Initial Cost Estimate: Tk 21,300 crores
- Construction Started: December 2019
- Architect: Rohani Bahrain (interior design)
- Terminal Area: 542,000 square meters
- Boarding Bridges: 26 (12 to be opened in October)
- Check-in Counters: 115 (including 15 self-service check-in counters)
- Immigration Counters: 10 self-service passport control counters, 66 external immigration counters
- Arrival Passenger Check-in Counters: 5 self-service check-in counters
- Baggage Belts (Arriving Passengers): 16 (including separate belts for oversized luggage)
- Facilities on Second Floor: Arrival lounge, cantina, boarding bridges, Duty-Free shop, and arrival lounge
- Total Terminal Building Area: 230,000 square meters
- Passenger Handling Capacity: 12 million passengers annually
- Baggage Handling Area: 54,000 square meters
- Fire-Fighting Station: 4,000 square meters
- Import Cargo Terminal: 27,000 square meters
- Export Cargo Terminal: 36,000 square meters
- Connecting Taxiway: 66,500 square meters
- Rapid Exit Taxiways: Two rapid exit taxiways, covering 41,500 square meters
- Customs Hall and Channels: Hall and six channels for customs for passengers arriving from other countries
- VIP Services Area: Dedicated 3,650-square-meter area for VIP and VIP passengers
Construction and Inauguration Timeline
In December 2019, the Bangladesh government granted approval for the construction of a third terminal at Dhaka’s Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport. Construction commenced in late February 2020, with Mitsubishi and Fuji firms as lead investors and contractors. South Korean businesses also contributed to design and implementation efforts. The Japanese operations of ANA Holdings manage various aspects of terminal management, including supply chain partnerships for installation items. Flight tests were conducted to ensure compatibility with existing structures and airspace regulations.
Potential Impact on Bangladesh’s Aviation Sector
The completion of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal is poised to bring a significant boost to Bangladesh’s aviation sector. Cargo handling capability is expected to triple, strengthening export markets. World-class passenger services will enhance Bangladesh’s international image as an emerging market economy and transport hub. Increased air travel opportunities will generate economic activities and job opportunities around the airport, benefiting local businesses.
However, major construction projects come with associated risks, including infrastructure constraints and cost overruns.
Dhaka’s Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport Set for Third Terminal Inauguration on October 7, 2023
Dhaka’s Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport is set to inaugurate its third terminal on October 7, 2023. With an initial cost estimate of Tk 21,300 crores and construction initiated in December 2019, the airport boasts world-class passenger service and global architectural expertise that will significantly increase capacity and improve service quality. This development could transform Dhaka into an ‘aviation hub’ and enhance connectivity with other destinations worldwide.
Project Details and Features
Fusing world-class passenger service, global architectural expertise, and increased capacity with Japanese operations management – get ready to experience the spectacular arrival of Dhaka’s most advanced airport terminal!
World-Class Passenger Service
The new terminal at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka will offer world-class passenger services, with the capacity to handle up to 24 million passengers annually. Features include 26 boarding bridges for quick boarding, a dedicated parking apron for 37 aircraft, luxurious lounges with Wi-Fi, duty-free shops, fine dining restaurants, and convenient immigration counters.
Global Architectural Expertise
Global architectural expertise has played a key role in the design and construction of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal. Renowned architect Rohani Bahrain was selected for the interior design. Stringent monitoring ensures adherence to global standards.
Increased Capacity and Service Quality
The new terminal can double the annual passenger handling capacity and triple cargo handling capacity. It offers expanded check-in counters, upgraded VIP lounges, and direct boarding facilities for international flights. Japanese operations management ensures top-quality service standards and environmental sustainability measures.
Japanese Operations Management
Japanese firm Nippon Koei Co., Ltd will manage Dhaka airport’s third terminal operations. This ensures increased efficiency and quality control standards, contributing to economic growth.
Connecting Bangladesh With the World
The Dhaka Airport Third Terminal will enhance connectivity for Bangladeshi citizens, offering improved accessibility and connectivity to global destinations.
Benefits for the Country’s Image
The Third Terminal of Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport is expected to transform Bangladesh’s image in the global aviation industry with world-class amenities and services. Flight tests have been conducted, ensuring a quality passenger experience. Improved infrastructure can create job opportunities and boost economic growth.
Flight Tests and Trial Runs
Successful completion of trial flights marks the partial inauguration of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal on October 7. The tests ensure technical aspects and safety standards are met, reinforcing preparations for the facility’s full operation.
Anticipation for Partial Inauguration on October 7
The partial inauguration of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal on October 7, 2023, signifies a milestone in Bangladesh’s aviation history. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s involvement underscores the importance of this development. The new terminal offers world-class features, increased capacity, enhanced safety measures, and higher-quality services.
Best Facilities for Bangladeshi People
This terminal offers an unprecedented level of comfort and convenience to Bangladeshi passengers. It includes improved passenger experience, enhanced safety and security measures, eco-friendly and sustainable design, and Japanese operations management.
Construction Timeline and Costs
The project began in December 2019 with an initial cost estimate of Tk 21,300 crores. It received approval from the Government of Bangladesh in May 2015, with strong local and international support.
Positive Effects on the Local Economy
The construction of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal is expected to create job opportunities and economic growth, particularly in aviation-related businesses. Improved infrastructure and tourism growth potential can lead to economic benefits for Bangladesh.
Benefits for the Tourism Industry
The new terminal can reduce delays and queues, enhancing the convenience of travelers. Local airlines can offer incentives to attract more tourists, increasing revenue for the tourism sector.
Importance of Infrastructure Development
Government investment in infrastructure is essential for regional growth. Dhaka benefits significantly from infrastructure development, improving air transportation and connectivity.
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s Involvement
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has played a crucial role in the successful development of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal. Her commitment to building a world-class aviation center has had a significant impact.
Future Plans and Considerations
Plans for further expansions and developments are in place to increase connectivity and economic growth, turning Dhaka into a major transit point and a dynamic city.
In conclusion, Dhaka Airport’s third terminal inauguration is a monumental achievement for Bangladesh’s aviation sector, promising increased capacity, world-class services, and economic growth. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s leadership has been instrumental in driving this project to success, positioning Dhaka as a prominent aviation hub. With future expansion plans, Bangladesh’s aviation sector is on a trajectory of remarkable growth and global recognition.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dhaka Airport Third Terminal
- When is Dhaka Airport’s third terminal inauguration?
- The inauguration of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal is scheduled for October 7, 2023.
- What are the key features of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal?
- The new terminal boasts world-class passenger services, increased capacity, 26 boarding bridges, a dedicated parking apron, luxurious lounges, duty-free shops, fine dining restaurants, and convenient immigration counters.
- Who is the architect for Dhaka Airport’s third terminal?
- The interior design of the third terminal was handled by renowned architect Rohani Bahrain.
- What is the passenger handling capacity of the new terminal?
- The new terminal has a capacity to handle up to 24 million passengers annually.
- Which company is managing the operations of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal?
- Japanese firm Nippon Koei Co., Ltd is responsible for managing the operations of the third terminal.
- How much did the construction of the third terminal cost?
- The initial cost estimate for the construction of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal was Tk 21,300 crores.
- What is the significance of this terminal for Bangladesh’s aviation sector?
- The third terminal is expected to significantly boost Bangladesh’s aviation sector by improving connectivity, increasing cargo handling capabilities, and enhancing the country’s image in the global aviation industry.
- What is the impact of this development on the local economy?
- The construction of the third terminal is expected to create job opportunities and contribute to economic growth, particularly in aviation-related businesses.
- Who has been instrumental in driving this project to success?
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has played a crucial role in the successful development of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal.
- Are there plans for further expansion of Dhaka Airport?
- Yes, there are plans for further expansions and developments to increase connectivity and economic growth, positioning Dhaka as a major transit point.